Tuesday, September 1, 2015

My diagnosis

Hello! My name is Penny. I have many titles that identify me...T's mom, momma P to her friends and the young ladies at work, Pinterest junkie, and many more! On Feb 3, 2014, I gained a new title that rocked my world.....multiple scerosis patient. At that time, the doctors finally had an explanation for the 'wonky eye' that I had ten months prior that left me hospitalized for a week. This time, MS had attacked my balance and my left side. I spent four days in the hospital using a walker and doing research on what MS was. I was scared! I'm a single mom of a beautiful daughter who battles epilepsy and depression......how can I have MS!!?? What am I going to do?

I was at a low point in my life at diagnosis. I had made some mistakes and was rebuilding. I was released from the hospital and started adjusting life to living with MS. At that time, I was staying with a friend (who just so happened to be a neuro surgery nurse). We moved my bedroom downstairs and I began a job the day after I was released. Crazy? Yes. But I had been unemployed and finally found a job after months. I explained the situation to them and they were very flexible. It was a warehouse with less than ten employees at the time. I tried to keep up with the adjustments and symptoms. I struggled with heat intolerance, fatigue, cognitive issues (memory), and anxiety. Working full time after a year with just part time....my body had a lot of adjusting. Thankfully, the job wasn't far from home. In July, my daughter and I made the move back to Canton. It was important for her to finish high school there. This made a 45 minute commute for me to and from work. We got settled in a routine and September 30, I was let go. 
Stress triggers MS...so you can imagine the chaos. I was blessed that God worked things out and I began working pt at my FUN job I've done seasonal for three years. In June, I ran across the Facebook group for Dr. Burt's HSCT group. I began my research and did lots of reading on other patients blogs. I emailed and received additional info about the study and also a questionnaire I completed the questionnaire and within a few weeks, they requested my medical records and said they would they like to evaluate me!!! This was July 20th. I ended up in the hospital, having a new lesion on my lower lumbar spine, and more determined that I need this treatment!! I was so excited to learn that my insurance has covered this study since 2011!! I began my fundraising for the approximatelt $9,000 out of pocket and exoenses while I am in Chicago. Then, five days later, I am notified that due to budget cuts, my insurance no longer covers. So my fundraising went from $9,000 to $250,000. I was so overwhelmed. But I look back and see how God has worked so many things out in my life and I reminded that GOD'S GOT THIS!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment